Just what *is* a veterinary school's primary function? What is the driving purpose, the justification for state and community support, the core mission? Let's see what the schools say...
Some of the colleges have their mission statements front and center on their websites, one click from the landing page, as if they don't want the reader to miss is. Other colleges have them buried or they're non-existent. Similarly, some colleges have mission statements that are intertwined with their vision statements. Where it was possible to discern between mission and vision statements, only the mission statements were lifted. Where it was impossible to unlink them, the entire text has been included.
Why the sudden interest in College of Veterinary Medicine Mission Statements? Take a listen to this.
The mission of the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine is to prepare individuals for careers of excellence in veterinary medicine, including private and public practice, industrial medicine, academics, and research. Through these efforts, the college will provide programs of instruction, research, outreach, and service that are in the best interests of the citizens of the state of Alabama, the region, the nation, and the world.
Colorado State University
We improve the health of animals, people, and the planet through innovative and dedicated teaching, research, outreach, and clinical service. Through our actions, we empower the next generation of leaders to change the world.
The College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University values its leadership position in academic veterinary medicine. Advancing veterinary medicine at the interface of discovery and application is the college's unifying conceptual framework. Discoveries identified at the molecular, cellular, organismal, and population levels ultimately inform the practice of medicine. In a parallel fashion, the organization and conduct of medicine influence the type and behavior of research. The college values scholarship across the full spectrum from molecule to medical application and demonstrates this commitment through research, educational programs and professional service. The college will continue to excel in providing education and advanced training that prepare veterinarians and scientists to serve society in critical roles in clinical and diagnostic veterinary medicine, public health, scientific inquiry, and public policy. The college strives to advance animal health through discovery-based research, the delivery of excellent clinical care, and continued vigilance against the spread of disease. The College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University endorses the concept of one biology in advancing the understanding of both animal and human health, encourages and fosters open collaboration across disciplines and institutional boundaries, and seeks to integrate discovery and application in order to deliver the greatest possible benefits to society.
Iowa State University
The Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine is dedicated to the enhancement of the health and well-being of animals and human beings through excellence in education, research, professional practice and committed service to the State of Iowa, the nation and the world.
Kansas State University -- Kudos to Kansas State for having their mission statement on their landing page!
The KSU CVM is dedicated to scholarship through innovation and excellence in teaching, research, and service to promote animal and human health for the public good. We are committed to creating an environment that is fulfilling and rewarding, being recognized for good communication, productive collaboration, mutual respect, diversity, integrity, and honesty.
Lincoln Memorial University
The mission of LMU-CVM is to prepare veterinarians who are committed to the premise that the cornerstone of meaningful existence is service to attain optimal health for people, animals, and our environment. The mission of the LMU-CVM is achieved by:
- Graduating Doctors of Veterinary Medicine
- Providing a values-based learning community as the context for teaching, research, and service
- Serving the health and wellness needs of people, animals, and the environment within both the Appalachian region and beyond with an emphasis on the One Health approach
- Focusing on comprehensive veterinary health care in companion animal, equine health, production animal health, and public health/comparative biomedical sciences
- Investing in quality undergraduate and graduate academic programs supported by superior faculty and technology
- Embracing compassionate veterinary care that values diversity, public service, and leadership as an enduring commitment to professionalism and the highest ethical standards
Louisiana State University
The LSU School of Veterinary Medicine is a dynamic community dedicated to saving lives, finding cures, and changing lives through outstanding clinical and community service, educational excellence, and groundbreaking scholarly research.
Michigan State University
The mission of the College of Veterinary Medicine is to develop a diverse academic community that fosters scholarly activity and encourages exemplary human qualities in order that the art and science of veterinary medicine may be imparted to students, expanded by research, and extended to the public for the benefit of animal and human health to meet the changing needs of Michigan, the nation, and the world.
Specifically, the mission of the college is:
- To provide an education program leading to the attainment of the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. The educational program will be designed to ensure that students:
- Acquire a basic understanding of structure, function, and disease processes in a variety of animal species.
- Acquire skills in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of animal diseases.
- Develop problem-solving abilities.
- Acquire the ability to communicate effectively with clients and colleagues.
- Acquire the skills and attitudes necessary for continued growth and development.
- To promote postgraduate education by offering:
- Formal graduate programs.
- Advanced training in clinical specialties.
- Continuing education opportunities.
- To promote research on animal health and disease, and related activities.
- To disseminate relevant information through publications, newsletters, Cooperative Extension Service facilities, and other suitable channels.
- To provide state-of-the-art expertise in diagnostic and therapeutic services.
- To serve as a knowledge resource in meeting the needs of the public for diagnostic, therapeutic, and other consultative services on animal health problems.
- To provide an educational program for veterinary technologists.
- To support the goals of Michigan State University by extending teaching, research, and service where appropriate to university programs and activities outside the College of Veterinary Medicine.
- To provide an education program leading to the attainment of the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree. The educational program will be designed to ensure that students:
Our mission is to improve animal and human life through innovative veterinary education, state-of-the-art health care services, and scholarly work relevant to the principles of One Health.
Mississippi State University
To protect and improve the health and quality of animal and human well-being while contributing to the economic development of Mississippi and surrounding regions by providing quality professional veterinary education, advancing research in veterinary and biomedical fields, and serving the community through excellent diagnostics, clinical care, and shared learning.
North Carolina State University
The mission of the College of Veterinary Medicine is to enhance the career and life success of students, staff, faculty, and veterinary professionals through initiatives in curriculum and lifelong learning, development of leadership and entrepreneurial skills, and partnerships with the community. College programs in animal health and wellness improve animal and human health and well being, and contribute to the economy of North Carolina and beyond through education, research (medical discovery), service, extension and engagement.
Ohio State University
The mission of the College of Veterinary Medicine is to benefit society through the education of veterinarians and the protection of animal health. This includes the diagnosis, treatment, prevention and understanding of animal diseases; the conservation of livestock resources; the promotion of public health; and the advancement of medical knowledge through professional and graduate education, research and service in the broad discipline of veterinary medicine.
Oklahoma State University
The Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine:
- Educates and develops skilled veterinarians for a lifetime of investigation, innovation, and care and protection of animal health
- Discovers and disseminates knowledge concerning health and disease mechanisms of biomedical and veterinary medical importance
- Creates and utilizes effective methods for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of animal diseases and those transmissible to humans; and
- Provides a state-of-the-art veterinary medical resource center that serves the citizens of Oklahoma, the nation, and the world.
Oregon State University
The College of Veterinary Medicine at OSU serves the needs of Oregon, the nation, and the world by training the next generation of practice-ready veterinarians, providing state-of-the-art diagnostic and clinical services, and supporting the continuing education of veterinary practitioners. Biomedical research conducted at the college increasingly expands the scope of veterinary medicine to address both animal health issues and the relevance of animal diseases to public health.
The Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine seeks to globally advance animal health and welfare and human health through excellence in learning, discovery, and engagement, as the leading veterinary college for comprehensive education of the veterinary team and for discovery and engagement in selected areas of veterinary and comparative biomedical sciences. Purdue Veterinary Medicine is also committed to achieving the strategic goal of providing service and knowledge that impact our global society with an emphasis on Diversity Initiatives, International Programs, K-12 Outreach Programs, and Community Service.
Texas A & M University
At the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, we support collaboration and teamwork that develops today's discoveries into proactive solutions for the benefit of animal, environmental, and public health, through our teaching, research, service, and outreach-impacting every Texan, every day.
The Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine improves and promotes the health and well-being of animals, people and ecosystems we share.
The primary mission of the School of Veterinary Medicine is to provide an environment that nurtures and promotes a spirit of active, independent and self-directed learning, teaching, research and service in veterinary medicine and related disciplines. The school promotes caring for animals and members of the society.
University of California, Davis
Our mission is to advance the health of animals, people and the environment.
To carry out this mission, we focus on students of our professional Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program, Master of Preventive Veterinary Medicine program, graduate clinical residency program and graduate academic MS and PhD programs.The School of Veterinary Medicine serves the people of California by providing educational, research, clinical service, and public service programs of the highest quality to advance the health and care of animals, the health of the environment, and public health, and to contribute to the economy. We address the health of all animals, including livestock, poultry, companion animals, captive and free-ranging wildlife, exotic animals, birds, aquatic mammals and fish, and animals used in biological and medical research. Our expertise also encompasses related human health concerns. Our statewide mission includes 28 research and clinical programs, including clinical referral services; diagnostic testing services; continuing education; extension; and community outreach.
University of Florida
The advancement of the health and welfare of animals, humans and the veterinary medical profession through world-class education, innovative research and state-of-the-art clinical services.
University of Georgia
The mission of the College of Veterinary Medicine is to promote the art and science of veterinary medicine through the acquisition, application, and dissemination of scientific advances that help diagnose and treat disease and maintain health of animals and humans. This mission is accomplished through scholarly inquiry into the nature of health and disease, conveying these findings through scientific media and educational programs, and application of this knowledge through services provided to the public.
The College values the expectation and responsibility to:
- train students to diagnose, treat and maintain the health of agricultural, wildlife, and companion animals.
- assist veterinarians, the owners of livestock, as well as the food and pharmaceutical producing industries in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of animal and human diseases.
- provide referral and consultation to veterinarians and their clients.
- expand knowledge and develop new technology for the health and well being of animals and humans through basic and applied research.
- train graduate and professional students in advanced technologies in order to protect the human population from emerging diseases.
- promote the acquisition and application of veterinary medical knowledge in a way that is environmentally responsible.
- provide veterinary medical training and service, and conduct research in such a way that ensures the health, welfare, and appropriate use of animals.
- contribute to the welfare of people by promoting the human-animal bond.
- be leaders in regional, national and international arenas in teaching, research, and service of veterinary medicine.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
I called the college and spoke with a very nice lady in the area of public relations who informed me that the redevelopment of a mission statment and vision statement is in flux at the moment. I appreciated her honesty.
University of Minnesota -- A phone request was made for this information because it was not readily found on their website, and I received an e-mail the following day.
Our mission is to improve the health of animals and people by discovering and disseminating new knowledge and skills, educating current and future veterinarians and biomedical scientists, and providing innovative veterinary services.
University of Missouri -- A phone request was made as the statement was not readily found on their website, and a prompt e-mail was received with the requested information. The statement appears on a PDF of a printed document.
We are Missouri's only College of Veterinary Medicine. Our mission is to educate and train outstanding clinicians and scientists, generate new knowledge, and foster economic growth, all of which promote and protect the health and welfare of animals and people. We are guided by a One Health/One Medicine philosophy, strengthened by campuswide collaborations with human medicine, animal and life sciences, agriculture, engineering, and the other health professions.
University of Pennsylvania
At Penn Vet, our mission comprises teaching, healing, and scientific investigation. We believe that as veterinarians, we not only practice medicine and conduct groundbreaking research to advance all medicine, we teach the next generation to do the same.
University of Tennessee -- A phone request was made as the statement was not readily found on their website, and a prompt e-mail was received with the requested information. The statement appears on an Ag page.
The mission of the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Tennessee is to educate students in the art and science of veterinary medicine and related biomedical sciences, and to discover new knowledge and to disseminate it to veterinarians and others in order to advance human and animal well-being.
University of Wisconsin-Madison
The University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine engages in veterinary medical education, research, and clinical service of the highest caliber to improve the health and welfare of animals and people and strengthen Wisconsin's economic vitality.
Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine
To protect and enhance animal, human, and environmental health and well-being by:
- Creating, disseminating and applying medical knowledge through discovery, learning, and engagement;
- Preparing professional and post graduate students for careers in veterinary medicine, biomedical sciences, and "One Health;" and
- Providing quality clinical care and compassionate service to animals.
Washington State University
Our mission is to provide exceptional:
- Professional veterinary medical education
- Undergraduate, graduate, and resident education in the health sciences
- Basic and clinical biomedical research
- Public service through clinical care, diagnostic services, continuing education, and outreach
Western University of Health Sciences
The College of Veterinary Medicine is committed to serving society and animals through the preparation of students for the practice of veterinary medicine, veterinary public health and/or veterinary research in an educational program of self-directed learning, reverence for life and clinical education through strategic partnerships. Instruction and clinical opportunities are provided in a wide variety of domestic species, including food animal, equine and companion animals. The college sustains a vibrant, diverse faculty by encouraging advancement through personal and professional development and research. This creates an environment of competent, caring, ethical professionals, where cooperative learning, public service, and scholarship can flourish in an arena of excellence.
l’Université de Montréal
La Faculté de médecine vétérinaire de l’Université de Montréal (FMV) vise à répondre aux besoins de la société en formant, selon les plus hauts standards, des médecins vétérinaires et des experts en santé et en bien-être animal, en sécurité alimentaire et en santé publique. En tant qu’institution vétérinaire francophone reconnue internationalement, la FMV s’engage à exceller, à innover et à assurer un leadership en santé animale par son enseignement, sa recherche et ses services à la collectivité.
(Google translation: Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Montreal (GMF) aims to meet the needs of society by providing, to the highest standards of veterinary doctors and health experts and animal welfare, food safety and in public health. As an institution internationally recognized French veterinarian, the GMF is committed to excel, innovate and provide leadership in animal health through teaching, research and services to the community.)
University of Calgary
UCVM's mission is to meet the veterinary, animal and public health needs of Alberta through:
- Excellence in delivery of a comprehensive undergraduate veterinary medical education, emphasizing production animal health, ecosystem and public health, equine health, and investigative medicine;
- Excellence in clinical, diagnostic and professional teaching and service, in collaboration with our partners in the Distributed Veterinary Learning Community, and;
- Excellence in the creation and distribution of new knowledge through research, graduate veterinary education, and continuing education in animal health, disease, and welfare, and its relation to human health.
University of Guelph
Educate veterinarians and scientists, create new knowledge and provide expert services to improve the health and well-being of animals, people and the environment.
University of Prince Edward Island
The Atlantic Veterinary College is committed to improving the health and welfare of animals and humans through excellence in education, discovery, professional practice and dedicated service to Atlantic Canada, our nation, and the world.
University of Saskatchewan
The mission of the Western College of Veterinary Medicine is to provide veterinary education in Western Canada and to act as a centre of veterinary expertise and research.
Outside the U.S. & Canada
To provide veterinary graduates with the professional skills to deliver excellent veterinary services that sustain the health, welfare and productivity of companion and farm animals and wildlife, with an emphasis on contexts that are unique to New Zealand
Can't find it
The Mission of Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine is to provide the best learning environment to prepare students to become members and leaders of the worldwide public and professional healthcare team, advancing human and animal health (One Health) through research and knowledge exchange.
- To provide a relevant and stimulating learning environment to equip veterinary students to become practice- and career-ready graduates
- To embrace diversity and offer students from a wide range of backgrounds the opportunity to follow their chosen career in veterinary medicine
- To serve society through strategic and impactful research into safe food production and control of emerging infectious and zoonotic diseases in developing countries and beyond
- To involve students in the work of our Research Centers, to foster a thirst for knowledge to improve the health and welfare of humans and animals through observation, investigation, and research
- To educate graduate students to become successful contributors to the knowledge economy, through advanced training in areas strategically important to global health
Royal Veterinary College, University of London
We will enhance our global reputation as an outstanding independent veterinary college by:
- Improving the quality of the student experience educationally and socially
- Delivering excellent education through the best methods and progressive practice
- Undertaking research of international quality in focused areas of global significance for animal and human health
- Improving animal health and welfare by the provision of outstanding clinical activity across animal species
- Engaging with the business community and exploiting our novel ideas
- Promoting public health and supporting society through the study of the relationships between people, animals and food
- Engaging fully with local, national and international communities and all our stakeholders.
St. George's University
The mission of St. George's University School of Veterinary Medicine is to provide an internationally based veterinary medical education with worldwide practice application through high quality instructional programs, community service, and clinical research exposure.
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Formar profesionales de la medicina veterinaria y zootecnia que sean ciudadanos con valores éticos, compromiso social y voluntad permanente de superación, además de generar conociminetos y difundir las ciencias veterinarias y zootécnicas, la tecnología y la innovación, para el desarrollo sustentable y equitativo del país.
(Google translation: Join professional veterinary medicine who are citizens with ethical values, social commitment and ongoing desire to improve and generate conociminetos and disseminate husbandry and veterinary science, technology and innovation for sustainable and equitable development.)
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at Utrecht University is the only place in the Netherlands where veterinarians are trained. This means that our Faculty is the centre of expertise and point of reference for veterinary issues for the entire country, and increasingly for the world abroad as well. Our activities include providing primary health and welfare care for a variety of types of animals, monitoring food safety and the prevention of zoonoses (diseases transferable from animals to humans). The Faculty is considered one of the leading veterinary medicine faculties in Europe and is ranked in the top five world-wide.
University College Dublin
Can't find it
University of Edinburgh
We aim to provide world class education to improve the health of animals and human beings alike. Our mission is to benefit society and the environment by educating veterinary surgeons to become members of world-wide public and professional health care teams; and to advance veterinary and comparative medicine through research into disease and disease processes with the goal of improving the health and welfare of both animals and human beings. Using outstanding clinical facilities, we:
- provide a veterinary service of the highest quality to our clients
- ensure a stimulating educational environment to equip our students for the profession and life-long learning
- undertake veterinary clinical and biomedical research to improve animal health and welfare
- protect society through safe food production and control of emerging and zoonotic diseases
University of Glasgow
Can't find it
University of Queensland, Australia
This requires leadership in veterinary education and strong teams of enthusiastic, progressive and informed staff, whose skills, knowledge and enthusiasm underpin advances in learning and discovery. As our students come from diverse backgrounds and cultures, an exceptional learning environment is essential to facilitate acquisition of the skills and knowledge required for students to enter the career of their choice. Our students will build a strong sense of identity, enjoy outstanding scholarship, acquire a deep understanding of veterinary science, and have the confidence to tackle future challenges and changes in their careers.
We believe in a strong sense of community, collegiality and ownership within the School, whilst also ensuring a strong external focus to include Alumni, industry stakeholders and the community. Our School is an organisation where all staff and students value personal, professional and institutional integrity. We will focus on communication, collaboration, transparency and engagement to maintain mutual respect, advocate mentorship, and continuous professional development.
Delivery on the School's mission is through:
- Provision of a comprehensive curriculum to equip graduates with Day 1 skills and prepare them for a broad range of veterinary careers
- Research that underpins teaching quality, provides successful research outcomes and the ability to develop depth in industry and community partnerships
- Financially sustainable clinical services that provide excellence in clinical outcomes and quality training for veterinary undergraduates and graduates
- An outward focus to strengthen engagement with the veterinary profession, industry and the community
University of Melbourne
We are a research-intensive veterinary school dedicated to the advancement of animal, human and environmental well-being through the education and development of world-class veterinary scientists. We will lead the way in the Asia-Pacific region in:
- Educating and training veterinary science graduates and professionals
- Advancing knowledge through cross-disciplinary and collaborative research spanning veterinary and biomedical science
- Enabling the growth and utilisation of knowledge by engaging with industry and community groups and individuals
University of Sydney
- We will educate and graduate outstanding veterinarians and animal scientists
- We will deliver a high quality, learning environment with a dynamic and responsive curriculum delivered by staff who strive to inspire students
- We will undertake high quality research and establish of research groups of excellence
- We will mentor our graduate students and develop a sense of ongoing commitment to and involvement with their university
- We will manage elite veterinary teaching hospitals where student learning opportunities are maximised, and excellent service is provided to the community
- We will work to ensure the financial viability and sustainable future of the Faculty
- We will have clear direction and effective leadership that maintains open avenues of consultation with students, staff and the wider university community
- We will be at all times informed and balanced advocates for the responsible care of animals
If I could read French, I might be able to find it.
Central Luzon State University
To develop globally-competitive graduates equipped with skills for optimum animal health and production.
The Faculty's most important task is to contribute to solving the major challenges facing the rapidly changing world with increased pressure on, among other things, natural resources and significant climate change, both nationally and globally.
At the same time, the Faculty must contribute to generating economic growth and, thus, ensure our welfare in society. This must take place in close cooperation with the business community and public authorities, organisations and other universities, both in Denmark and abroad.
St. Matthew's University
At the core of our mission is a commitment to the success of our students. Our aim is to provide qualified students from around the globe with the best veterinary training available. St. Matthew's University School of Veterinary Medicine develops socially responsible veterinary doctors skilled in the art and science of veterinary medicine. We are committed to achieving our mission by:
- Providing students with the knowledge and skills needed to practice veterinary medicine in the 21st century.
- Helping students acquire the judgment and confidence necessary to become competent veterinarians.
- Motivating students to pursue knowledge outside the classroom, both during their tenure at St. Matthew's and throughout life.
- Creating an environment in which students and faculty interact with each other, their patients, and the community with compassion and integrity.
- Engaging faculty and students in the understanding and active practice of research which furthers their knowledge of the process of science and increases their appreciation of the balance between research and the artful practice of veterinary medicine.
- Universidad VERITAS
Can't find it.
University of Tokyo
Overcome the elucidation of the pathogenesis and elucidation of life phenomena of animal, as well as by to promote the training of human resources highly specialized which is responsible for the improvement of public health, to build a better relationship of human beings and animals, this department is, the two. It is an object of the education and research that contributes to improving the health and well-being.
Angell Animal Medical Center
The mission of the MSPCA-Angell is to protect animals, relieve their suffering, advance their health and welfare, prevent cruelty, and work for a just and compassionate society.